Computing Level 3
Type: Full Time
Subject: Computing and ICT
Start Date: 06 September 2021
Fee: Please contact the Information Centre for fee information
On successful completion of this course, you will have the option to study for an additional year to top up your qualification to the Extended Diploma in Digital Technologies in this year you will, specialise in one of 5 areas
• Application Development incl Games Development
• Cyber Security
• System Infrastructure
• Business Analysis
• Web Design and Social Media for e–commerce
Who is it for
This course will help you to develop a comprehensive and broad understanding
of the IT digital environment. It's also a great qualification if you are looking to
begin a career within this sector and is well established at the college.
Interview Skills Assessment
You will be required to attend a Welcome Event, details will be provided upon application.
What will I need
5 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above in English and maths or Level 2 Diploma in IT.
What is covered
During your study you will cover a range of areas which will help you to develop your knowledge and skills as well as learning to apply these to practical situations. You will complete four or seven mandatory topics depending on the diploma chosen.
On successful completion of the Foundation Diploma course, you will have the option to study for an additional year to top up your qualification to the BTEC Extended Diploma in Computing. In this 1st year you will study the fundamental building blocks of computing subjects providing a broad set of skills and knowledge.
Mandatory Units – Must be Achieved:
• Unit 1 Principles of Computer Science (Year 1)
• Unit 7 IT Systems Security and Encryption (Year 1)
• Unit 8 Business Applications of Social Media (Year 1)
• Unit 2 Fundamentals of Computer Systems (Year 1)
• Unit 3 Planning and Management of Computing (Year 2)
• Unit 4 Software Design and Development (Year 2)
• Unit 9 The Impact of Computing (Year 2)
Optional Units – Tailored to our course:
• Unit 11 Digital Graphics and Animation (Year 1)
• Unit 20 Managing and Supporting Systems (Year 1)
• Unit 14 Computer Games Development (Year 2)
• Unit 16 Object–oriented Programming (Year 2)
• Unit 17 Mobile Apps Development (Year 2)
• Unit 19 Computer Networking (Year 2)
• Unit 21 Virtualisation (Year 2)
What can this course lead to
Once you have successfully completed the qualification you can progress onto
university, an apprenticeship or into employment.
Qualification progression would include:
• Level 4 University Programmes
• Advanced/Higher Apprenticeship in IT, software, web and telecoms, social media, digital marketing and information security
Employment progression could lead to you working as a:
• Trainee network administrator
• Trainee computer programmer
• Trainee systems administrator
• Trainee web and social media administrator
• Trainee cyber security administrator
IBM, Aldermar Ltd, Concise Training, Forge Rock, Amastra have all supported this qualification.