Type: Part Time
Subject: Distance Learning
Level: Entry Level
Start Date: 07 August 2023
One day only – dates available throughout the year.
To check date availability and enrol on the course please visit our Information Centre at Peterborough College.
Who is it for
Those wishing to drive a private hire vehicle/hackney carriage vehicle in the Peterborough area. This course is run in conjunction with the Taxi Enforcement Department of Peterborough City Council.
Interview Skills Assessment
No assessment required but you need to be able to read, write, speak and understand English to a reasonable level in order to successfully complete the course.
What will I need
Valid photo identification.
What is covered
This course is run at the request of Peterborough City Council and is mandatory for anyone who is applying for a new private hire drivers' licence. The one–day course is classroom based and runs from 9.30am until 4pm at our Jobsmart centre in Broadway.
When you enrol on the course you will be given some pre–course booklets to study, you should pay particular attention to the driver terms and conditions and the vehicle terms and conditions as these will form part of your exam.
The course will cover:
• Legal obligations relating to the Equality Act 2010
• Legal obligations relating to Safeguarding
• Basic spelling, money and time calculations
• How to communicate effectively with a diverse range of people
• Private Hire Driver terms and conditions
• Private Hire Vehicle terms and conditions
How is the course assessed
There will be an exam as part of the course which you will need to pass in order to gain your Taxi General Competency certificate.
The exam is in 2 parts:
• A written exam which will include basic spelling, time and money calculations and a multiple choice section which will test your knowledge on terms and conditions, general communication and safeguarding.
• A speaking and listening exam which will include questions on safeguarding, general communication and terms and conditions.
Please note: you need to be able to read, write, speak and understand English to a reasonable level in order to successfully complete the course.
What can this course lead to
If this course is passed, the next stage is a practical test arranged through the Taxi Enforcement department of Peterborough City Council.
Are there any additional costs
A full day costs £140 including exam.