Call us on 0345 8728722
< swipe navigation >

Finance and Funding

This tuition fee guide provides a summary of the most frequently asked questions raised by students with regards to funding your course.

The following points are covered:

  • Who pays fees
  • Fee Remission
  • Self-Funding
  • Advanced Learner Loan
  • Withdrawing
  • Employer Funding

Should you have any other concerns not covered by the above, or you wish to seek further clarification, please use the contact us, we’re here to help: (for level 5, level 6 or degree)



Full time courses for students aged between 16 and 18 are free.

The rules around course fees are complicated, they depend on age, prior learning, and your personal circumstances. As part of your application to Peterborough College, the Admissions Team will assess you individually and identify if you are required to pay a fee. For all courses there are a range of funding options, these are covered in this guidance.

    Appli­ca­tions for finan­cial sup­port are sub­mit­ted through our online stu­dent por­tal where assis­tance can be applied for and evi­dence of house­hold income uploaded.

    If you are a new stu­dent start­ing this aca­d­e­m­ic year, you will be prompt­ed to apply for finan­cial sup­port in the final stage of the online enrol­ment process. Once you see the mes­sage ​“Enrol­ment Com­plete” sim­ply scroll down to access the links to the appli­ca­tion por­tal.

    Return­ing stu­dents will be sent a link, and login details via e‑mail, but if you would like more infor­ma­tion, please con­tact the Stu­dent Ser­vices Finan­cial Sup­port Team via email finance@​ieg.​ac.​uk

    A Stu­dent Ser­vices Finan­cial Sup­port Advi­sor will be hap­py to explain the appli­ca­tion process in more detail, if need­ed, includ­ing what infor­ma­tion and evi­dence you will need to pro­vide to com­plete your appli­ca­tion, how­ev­er, all of this infor­ma­tion will be giv­en to you dur­ing the appli­ca­tion process.

    We’re here to help so if you have any ques­tions or con­cerns please get in touch.
    There is no dead­line date to apply, but the soon­er you apply the bet­ter. Appli­ca­tions can be sub­mit­ted at any time dur­ing the aca­d­e­m­ic year. Stu­dents may also make more than one appli­ca­tion if their sit­u­a­tion changes.
    · Stu­dents on appren­tice­ship pro­grammes, or any waged train­ing, because those stu­dents are clas­si­fied as employed.

    · Stu­dents on high­er edu­ca­tion pro­grammes, because alter­na­tive finan­cial sup­port funds are avail­able. Please see the tuition fee loan information.
    Yes. A new appli­ca­tion needs to be sub­mit­ted to the Learn­er Sup­port Fund for each aca­d­e­m­ic year that you study at the col­lege. This is because sit­u­a­tions and ben­e­fit amounts are like­ly to change year on year.
    When you claim fee remission as a method of payment for your course you need to make sure you are fully entitled to this. It is imperative you present all of your qualifications at the time of enrolment so that your entitlement is verified by the College.
  • What if after starting my course I am informed that I am not entitled?
    The College MIS Team will re-assess your situation to determine whether you are fully entitled or not.

    If your claim has been rejected in error, the College will help correct this. If evidence confirms you should not have claimed fee remission, then responsibility for course fees falls on you personally to repay what is owed.
  • What if my claim is rejected, are there other sources of funding available to me?
    You may be entitled to an Advanced Learner Loan if your course is at Level 3 or above instead of paying for the course yourself. Please discuss with the Finance Team to see whether you can apply. They can help you with the application form if you wish.
  • What happens if I am not eligible for an advanced learner loan?
    You will need to pay the full amount for the entire course immediately whether you decide to withdraw or continue, as per the terms of your Learner Agreement. Alternatively, you can arrange a Flex Pay Plan to pay by instalments. Refer to the “Self Funding” information below.
    Flex Pay Leaflet Front Back
    Flex Pay Instalment Plan
    If you have selected to pay by instalments using Flex Pay, you will have to pay 1⁄3 of your total fees prior to commencement of your course. Flex Pay will then contact you to agree a payment plan as per the terms and conditions detailed on the Payment Method Declaration Form you will be required to sign.

    Direct payment to the College
    You will need to pay the full amount for the entire course before you commence your period of study.
  • What if I struggle to meet the payment schedule?
    Should you have concerns with meeting your Flex Pay agreed payment schedule, please contact them directly at first to discuss.
  • What will happen if I withdraw from my course?
    If at any time you withdraw from your course, you will still be liable for payment in full for the complete course.
    If you have selected to pay by Flex Pay, any outstanding balance will immediately become due. Only in exceptional circumstances will the College consider a refund, in line with its Refund Policy. A form for Refund Applications is available on request.
  • Can I transfer to another course after withdrawal?
    If you withdraw in the first term of your course, you can apply to transfer any fees paid or payable to another course offered by the College in the same academic year. Alternatively, vouchers can be issued to be used on any Peterborough College course in the following academic year. The value will be pro rata to the number of full terms remaining on the course at point of withdrawal.
    If you have chosen to fund your course through Student Finance England, you will need to have applied and had your Advanced Learner Loan approved prior to enrolment. on the course. If you have not yet had your loan approved - or even not applied for a loan - at the time of enrolment, then the key facts to consider are below:
  • Can I still enrol without evidence of my loan approval?
    Yes you can, but you will have to sign up to an agreement that acts as a guarantee that you will pay for the course yourself if your loan is not approved.
  • Can the college help me with my application?
    Yes, the advisors within the Finance Team can help you with the application process. Once you have applied we have a dedicated advisor who looks after all of our Advanced Learner Loan applications. It is imperative that you apply immediately after your enrolment if you have not done so already as there can be delays in processing late applications by Student Finance England. You can contact the finance team by e-mailing
  • What happens if I am still awaiting approval and have insufficient funds to cover the course fees?
    If you have not received approval by the last week of October, please discuss this with the Finance team so we can help resolve any outstanding issues with your application in good time. You will not be allowed to attend your course if your loan is still not approved and you have not started to pay your fees.
    Depend­ing on the date of your with­draw­al, Stu­dent Finance Eng­land may not pay your full tuition fee lia­bil­i­ty, so a por­tion of your fee may be invoiced direct­ly to you by the College.

    If you withdraw before the course starts, you will have nil bal­ance against your loan.

    If you withdraw after you have started to attend classes, Stu­dent Finance Eng­land will have paid an amount to the Col­lege based upon your atten­dance. Your loan bal­ance will reflect just the amount paid up to your point of with­draw­al. How­ev­er, the remain­ing bal­ance of your total course fee will become per­son­al­ly due from yourself.
  • How do I pay if I have with­drawn and been invoiced by the college?
    You have the choice to either pay the full bal­ance due, or arrange a Flex Pay Plan allow­ing pay­ments by instal­ments. See the ​“Self Fund­ing” guid­ance above.
    If your employ­er has agreed to fund your course there are some key terms and con­di­tions that you need to know.
  • I have been asked to sup­ply a let­ter of authorisation/​purchase order, what does this mean?
    This must be a let­ter on com­pa­ny head­ed paper and addressed to the Col­lege with your name, and your employ­ers agree­ment to be liable for the course fees for each aca­d­e­m­ic year, along with rel­e­vant pur­chase orders if required. This must be signed by an autho­rised mem­ber of the company.

    This letter/​purchase order must be brought with you in order to enrol on your cho­sen course.
  • What hap­pens if I leave my employer?
    You need to ensure your Com­pa­ny let­ter makes it clear where lia­bil­i­ty lies in the event you leave their employment.
    If your Employ­er has con­sent­ed to cov­er all costs in the event of your leav­ing, then you may con­tin­ue your course at no cost to your­self. If how­ev­er your Employ­er has arranged with your­self that no fur­ther fees will be cov­ered, then you will become per­son­al­ly liable for the bal­ance whether you con­tin­ue on the course or not. See the ​“Self-Fund­ing” guid­ance above for more information.
  • What hap­pens if I with­draw from the course?
    Unless your employ­er has agreed to pay all your fees you will become liable for pay­ment in full for the com­plete course fees. See the ​“Self-Fund­ing” guid­ance above for more information.
    Peterborough College can offer financial support to any student from low income households who face the greatest barriers to continuing in education or training. There are a number of funds you can apply for depending on your personal circumstance.
    The College has separate funding criteria for the following;
    · 16-19 Vulnerable Student Bursary
    · 16-19 Discretionary Bursary
    · 19+ Learner Support fund
    Funding is provided by the Government (16-19 Bursary Fund) to help students who are having the greatest difficulty meeting some of their further education course costs.
    Please see below for information about all financial support options, along with their eligibility criteria.
  • 16 – 19 Vul­ner­a­ble Stu­dent Bursary
    If you fall into one of the fol­low­ing groups you may be eli­gi­ble to apply for the 16 – 19 Vul­ner­a­ble Bursary:
    · Young Peo­ple in Care
    · Care Leavers
    · Receiv­ing Income sup­port or Uni­ver­sal Cred­it in your own right because you are finan­cial­ly sup­port­ing your­self or/​and some­one who is depen­dent on you
    · Receiv­ing Dis­abil­i­ty Liv­ing Allowance or Per­son­al Inde­pen­dent Pay­ment in your own right and Employ­ment Sup­port Allowance or Uni­ver­sal Cred­it in your own right
    If you fall into one or more of these groups above you can apply for a Vul­ner­a­ble Bur­sary of up to £1,200 per aca­d­e­m­ic year. You will be paid £33.33 per week through­out the aca­d­e­m­ic year; this is depen­dent on your atten­dance being 85% week­ly. You may also be eli­gi­ble for a free col­lege bus pass and the uni­form and kit you need to com­plete your course.
  • 16 – 19 Dis­cre­tionary Bursary
    If you are under the age of 19 at the start of your course and have a low house­hold income (less than £27,000 per annum) you may be eli­gi­ble for sup­port towards var­i­ous course relat­ed costs.
    You will be required to pro­vide evi­dence of the total house­hold income, this may include any earned income you receive, or evi­dence of all ben­e­fits you receive. There are 2 tiers of Finan­cial Sup­port avail­able to help cov­er the costs of trans­port, equip­ment and uni­form and free Col­lege meals whilst you are at Col­lege. The lev­el of sup­port you are eli­gi­ble for will depend on your house­hold income, and you may be expect­ed to con­tribute towards trans­port and uni­form costs. Please see cri­te­ria in the finan­cial sup­port guide book­let which is down­load­able at the bot­tom of this page.
  • 19+ Learn­er Sup­port Fund
    If you are aged 19 and over at the start of your course and study­ing a full-time course at Peterborough Col­lege, you may be eli­gi­ble for Finan­cial Sup­port. The fol­low­ing sup­port may be avail­able, pro­vid­ed you meet the eli­gi­bil­i­ty criteria:
    · Course Fees — Lev­el 1 & 2
    · Trans­port
    · Essen­tial course equip­ment, uni­form or materials
    · Child­care
    * Please sep­a­rate sec­tions for more infor­ma­tion regard­ing each.
  • Course Fees Lev­el 1 & 2
    Stu­dents over 19 study­ing a lev­el 1 or 2 qual­i­fi­ca­tion, who are required to pay course fees may be eli­gi­ble for assis­tance from the Learn­er Sup­port Fund to cov­er these costs. The amount is depen­dent on your household’s annu­al income.
    A house­hold income of less than £16,190 per annum, the Learn­er Sup­port Fund can fund all your course
    A house­hold income of between £16,190-£27,000 per annum, the Learn­er Sup­port Fund can fund 50% of your course fees.
    Course fees Lev­el 3 – 6
    See Advanced Learn­er Loans for more information.
    Advanced Learn­er Loans to sup­port the cost of your course fees are avail­able to the fol­low­ing stu­dents study­ing a Lev­el 3 to 6 qualifications:
    · Learn­ers aged 19 to 23 who already hold a full Lev­el 3 qualification
    · Learn­ers aged 24 and over
    Stu­dents tak­ing out an Advanced Learn­er Loan may also be eli­gi­ble for sup­port towards equip­ment, uni­form, trans­port costs and some child­care fund­ing through the Learn­er Sup­port Fund.
    If you have a house­hold income of £27,000 or less you may be eli­gi­ble for sup­port towards your trans­port costs. This can include col­lege bus­es, local coun­ty coun­cil or pub­lic ser­vice trans­port, or a fuel allowance if you are not with­in 3miles of a bus stop and wish to trav­el by car.

    If the house­hold income is £27,000 or below there may be addi­tion­al sup­port towards the costs of any essen­tial equip­ment and uni­form such as equip­ment and uni­form for the Lev­el 2 and 3 in Hair­dress­ing or the stu­dio fee for the Diplo­ma in Foun­da­tion Stud­ies Art and Design.

    If your house­hold income falls between £16,190 and 27,000, prices for trans­port, kit and equip­ment will be sub­stan­tial­ly dis­count­ed, but you will be expect­ed to make a con­tri­bu­tion towards the costs. A 50% con­tri­bu­tion will be required for essen­tial equip­ment and uni­form and the price of a bus pass will be reduced from £450 to £150.
    If your house­hold income is below £16,190 per year you will be eli­gi­ble for full support.
    If you are aged 16 to 18 at the begin­ning of your course and you, your part­ner or par­ents are in receipt of any of the fol­low­ing ben­e­fits you may be eli­gi­ble for Free Col­lege Meals:
    · Income Sup­port
    · Income-based Job Seek­ers Allowance
    · Income-relat­ed Employ­ment and Sup­port Allowance
    · Sup­port under part VI of the Immi­gra­tion and Asy­lum Act 1999
    · The guar­an­tee ele­ment of State Pen­sion Credit
    · Child Tax Cred­its (But not work­ing Tax Cred­its) with a gross annu­al income of no more than £16,190 as assessed by HMRC
    · Uni­ver­sal Cred­it with net earn­ings not exceed­ing the equiv­a­lent of £7,400 pa
    Stu­dents aged 19 or over are only eli­gi­ble to receive a free meal if they meet the eli­gi­bil­i­ty cri­te­ria above and are con­tin­u­ing on the same study pro­gramme before they turn 19 (19+ con­tin­uers) or have an Edu­ca­tion, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
    If you are aged 16 to 19 at the start of your course you can apply to Care to Learn for help with your child­care costs. Stu­dents apply direct using the fol­low­ing web­site www​.gov​.uk/​c​a​r​e​-​t​o​-​learn.

    If you are aged 20 or over and are plan­ning to use an OFST­ED reg­is­tered Child­care provider (Nurs­ery, Child Min­der, Pre/​After School club) whilst you are at col­lege and if your house­hold income is £27,000 or below you would qual­i­fy for help towards your child­care costs. Child­care is not paid dur­ing col­lege hol­i­day peri­ods; this is only paid dur­ing term-time and dur­ing the hours the stu­dent is at col­lege. If you are in receipt of any ear­ly years fund­ing, these hours must be used before any con­tri­bu­tions for child­care are made by the college.
    Your qual­i­fi­ca­tion is an invest­ment and we under­stand pay­ing fees can be a wor­ry so we have a ded­i­cat­ed team here to help you!
    For UK and EU stu­dents apply­ing for a full-time Uni­ver­si­ty Lev­el course at Uni­ver­si­ty Cen­tre Peter­bor­ough or Stam­ford start­ing in Sep­tem­ber 2021, the tuition fee will be up to £8,500 per year.
  • Tuition Fee Loan
    You can apply to Stu­dent Finance Eng­land for a loan to sup­port the cost of your tuition fees. This is paid direct­ly and you won’t have to pay a pen­ny back until your annu­al income is between £19,380 and £26,575 depend­ing on your plan agree­ment with inter­est rate applied with SLC (The Stu­dent Loan Company).

    Appli­ca­tions take at least six weeks to be processed, how­ev­er, Stu­dent Finance Eng­land will do an ini­tial assess­ment so you will have some mon­ey as close to the start of your course as possible.
    If you have a Plan 1 stu­dent loan
    You’ll only repay when your income is over £372 a week or £1,615 a month (before tax and oth­er deductions).

    If you have a Plan 2 stu­dent loan
    You’ll only repay when your income is over £511 a week or £2,214 a month (before tax and oth­er deductions).
    If you are on a Post­grad­u­ate Loan repay­ment plan
    If you took out a Mas­ter’s Loan or a Doc­tor­al Loan, you’ll only repay when you rin­come is over £404 a week, or £1,750 a month (before tax and oth­er deductions).
  • Main­te­nance Loan Support
    Depend­ing on your house­hold income you can apply for a loan of up to £7,747 to help with your liv­ing costs whilst study­ing at Uni­ver­si­ty Cen­tre Peterborough Cam­pus and like the Tuition Fee Loan, you don’t have to pay a pen­ny back until your annu­al income is between £19,380 and £26,575 depend­ing on your plan agree­ment with inter­est rate applied with SLC (The Stu­dent Loan Company).

    Main­te­nance Loan Sup­port replaces Stu­dent Grants.
  • Dis­abled Stu­dents’ Allowance
    You can apply for DSA to cov­er some of the extra costs you have because of a dis­abil­i­ty, men­tal health prob­lem or long term ill­ness whilst study­ing your high­er edu­ca­tion qual­i­fi­ca­tion. You can get this allowance on top of your oth­er stu­dent finance and you don’t need to pay it back. How much you get depends on your indi­vid­ual needs – not your house­hold income.
    No. Receiv­ing assis­tance from the Learn­er Sup­port Fund will not affect the amount or enti­tle­ment to any Depart­ment of Work and Pen­sions (DWP) ben­e­fits you receive. The bur­sary fund is in place to sup­port the costs of edu­ca­tion and remove finan­cial bar­ri­ers so that all stu­dents have the oppor­tu­ni­ty to study the course of their choosing.